Éire Óg v Claddagh Gaels: 15/07/17

Article credit: Faye Murray – Éire Óg 

The first of the Glo-Herts Championship semi finals got underway on Saturday 15th of July at Radlett Road Watford. Claddagh Gaels won the toss and elected to play with the swirling breeze. The opening minutes were tense as so much was at stake in this Championship semi final.
With strong defence from both teams, the game reached the 20th minute scoreless. Joan Quigley, Laura Dunne and Niamh McHugh were on top for the Oxford team with Louise Gormley performing well for the Luton team. In the 20th minute, the Luton corner forward scored an unstoppable, goal, into the top corner of the net. Claddagh tagged on two more points before the end of the first half.

The score at half time stood Éire Óg 0-00 Claddagh Gaels 1-02

The second half saw Oxford on top. They were playing most of the football but were guilty of not taking their chances. Claddagh Gaels tagged on another point to make it 1-03 to no score. Then Oxford sprung into action. Points from Sorcha Mulligan and debutant Caoimhe Kelly saw Éire Óg  register on the score sheet. Then after some great support from Lisa Culleton and Emma Culleton, Deborah Cuddy scored a goal, bouncing off the Luton goal keeper. After this came another point from Deborah.
In an unfortunate turn of events, Deborah Cuddy was shown a yellow card and ended up in the sin bin for ten minutes. With the extra player Claddagh scored another point. Deborah on her return scored a lovely point to narrow the gap. Éire Óg  were chasing goals with very little left in the game however the Luton side countered and scored the final points of a hard fought game after a nail biting finish.
A great game to watch showing a very high standard of football in Glo-Herts.
The final score Éire Óg 1-04 Claddagh Gaels 1-07
Éire Óg
T Davies, N McHugh, J Quigley, E Rodgers, A Fitzpatrick, E Morrow, E O’Dwyer, D Cuddy (1-02), L Dunne, E Culleton, C. Kelly (0-01), F. Murray, D. Austin, L Culleton , N Coll, S Mulligan (0-01)
Player of the match: Joan Quigley
Management: Paul O’ Sullivan, Frank Dillon
Ref: John Reape